U.S. Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV), member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, secured West Virginia priorities in nine appropriations bills and urged the Appropriations Committee leaders to find bipartisan compromise to pass the Fiscal Year 2022 (FY22) federal budget.
In southern West Virginia, the Senator secured funding for several projects including:
· Kermit Rehabilitation of Water Treatment Facility: $2.747 million to support the rehabiliton of a water treatment plant and waterlines in Kermit, WV.
· McDowell County Septic Tank Solutions: $495,000 to design and install 35 on-site residential septic systems in McDowell County, West Virginia.
· Williamson Health and Wellness Center: $2,000,000 to reopen the Williamson Memorial Hospital, which would be the only hospital in Mingo County.
· Coalfields Expressway ($500,000): Funding for a planned four-lane highway beginning at the confluence of Interstate 77 and 64 near Beckley, WV and ending in Pound, VA to open up portions of the state.
· Mingo County Airport Access Road ($3,300,000): Access road at the Appalachian Regional Airport, enabling Mingo County to develop new industry and grow economic sectors.
In August, Senator Manchin also secured West Virginia priorities in the Agriculture, Rural Development and FDA; Energy and Water Development; and Military Construction and Veterans Affairs appropriations bills.